Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Just a thought for today

Below you find a very interesting piece from a brotha about the shift in black ideological thought.

I am an adamant Obama supporter and I must agree that the media fascination with Dr. Wrights messages has really gotten on my nerves.

First of all, cant we just move on. I am sure that most people have heard comments from their pastors that did not reflect views of there own. Perhaps that is a faulty assumption so I will simplify and say, my pastor has said things that have made me wince. Why are people forcing this association between Obamas patriotism and Rev. Wrights sermons.

Secondly, since when does pro-black equal anit-white or anti-american. I could probably argue the opposite premise with much more success. Being pro-american equals anit-black, or should I say, anti-minority. I could go on, but if you are reading my blog I am sure you get it.

Lastly, it really cooks my grits when a panel of white, mostly republican, panelists on Lou Dobbs show on CNN argue that black indignation with americas history of oppression and manifest destiny is unamerican. White people can not understand what being black in america is all about. for that matter I dont understand what being white in america is all about. And I believe that in his speech, which will undoubtedly go down as one of the greatest speeches in american history, the Senator from Illinios eloquently put forth the problem with race in America. We dont talk about it. If we do its stilted conversation and it is filled with defensive postures, guilt, and misunderstanding. We have a long way to go. However, when one race tries to tell another race how to digest the race problem we have a situation. As black folk we need to go to church on Sunday mornings and let it all out. Its the only way we can continue to function in a world that views our community through a cracked lens. Just as we needed those family dinners of yesteryear and the safety of our living rooms. What we dont need is eyes and ears pearing into our sanctuaries and telling us when we are being American or un-American. If you ask me Mr. Slavery, Ms. Oppression, and their offspring second class citizenship wrote the book on my vision of un-American!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home